GEOMECHANICAL / GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER TO LATIN AMERICA (NOC 2144 – Geological Engineers)
Primary Work Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Company: Mine Design Engineering Incorporated
Mine Design Engineering [MDEng] is a niche geotechnical firm offering specialized rock engineering services to the mining and civil sectors for both underground mining and civil excavations and for rock slopes. MDEng was founded in October 2010 by Dr. W. F. Bawden, CEO, and Mr. P. Lausch, COO. Since inception, MDEng has undertaken a wide variety of projects for an array of clients both within Canada and around the world. Services include geomechanical site investigation and site characterization, underground geomechnical mine design [i.e. stope design, pillar design, static and dynamic ground support design, stope sequencing, etc.], instrumentation monitoring package design, numerical stress analysis [2D and 3D linear and non-linear], mine induced seismicity analysis, ground control audits, underground civil infrastructure design, rock slope design [open pit mine slopes, natural slope analysis and civil excavations], and due diligence studies. For further information on our company please visit our web site at https://mdeng.ca/about-mine-design-engineering-mdeng/
MDEng is expanding into Mexico and Latin America and is searching for a fully bilingual [spoken and written] English-Spanish Geotechnical Engineer with a strong geomechanics background in the civil and mining industries.
Main duties would include:
- Significant travel required to South America, Mexico, and the United States;
- Planning, developing, and co-ordinating programs of geotechnical data acquisition, data analysis, and geotechnical site characterization for civil engineering and mining projects;
- Provide geotechnical stability assessments for underground excavations;
- Provide engineering design for ground support systems;
- Ground control inspections and audits;
- Design of geotechnical instrumentation programs;
- Interpretation of geotechnical instrumentation data;
- Analyzing and preparing geotechnical recommendations and reports for construction of underground civil engineering or mining projects;
- Analyzing and preparing geotechnical recommendations and reports on the stability of natural and engineered slopes for civil engineering or mining projects;
- Planning, developing, co-ordinating and conducting theoretical and experimental studies in mining exploration, mine evaluation and feasibility studies relative to the mining industry;
- Conducting geotechnical studies for mine design projects;
- Supervising junior and intermediate geotechnical engineers;
- Determining the appropriate means of safely and efficiently mining deposits;
- Evaluate stability and ground support requirements for shafts, ventilations systems and supporting structures;
- Geomechanical numerical modelling using industry standard software including Itasca and RocScience Codes; and
- Preparing bidding documents including work scopes and budgeting and project estimates, schedules and reports.
The successful candidate should have/be:
- A bachelor’s degree in geological or mining engineering.
- An advanced graduate degree(s) in a geological or mining engineering (minimum Master of Science) with specialized focus on rock mechanics and rock engineering.
- At least 3 years of industry experience in civil or mining rock engineering;
- Experience in civil tunnelling, tunnel boring machines, and underground mining.
- Fluency in Spanish (spoken and written) with a proficiency in technical Spanish in relation to civil and mining geotechnical applications;
- A valid driver’s license is required;
- If not already a member, must apply to join the Professional Engineers of Ontario within 3 years of commencing work.
The successful candidate would be expected to be based in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and would be required to travel routinely in Canada and Internationally. The successful candidate will work with Mr. Mike Neumann (MDEng Latin America Manager), and Dr. Kathy Kalenchuk (Principal Geomechanics Consultant).
Terms of Employment:
- Permanent, Full-Time Position
- Frequent Travel Required within Canada and Internationally
- Wage: $86,000 – $110,000 (based on a 40 hour work week) – commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Reimbursement of some relocation expenses may be provided
- Benefits: MDEng has a bonus system that is applied based upon the individual’s performance. MDEng also has a full benefits package (health, dental, vision, life) that is offered to employees (and their families) after completing the mandatory probationary period. Wages will be reviewed periodically and increased in keeping with employee, company and industry performance.
Interested candidates should send their resumes in confidence to MDEng by email to:
Mine Design Engineering Inc.
7-1045 John Counter Blvd.
Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7K 6C7
Only candidates to be invited for interviews will be contacted.