Mike Neumann, P. Eng. brings a wealth of practical mining experience to the MDEng team, having spent more than 40 years working at mines, on research projects and consulting. While in operations, he worked his way up from an underground shift boss to Managing Director and COO of a start-up silver mine in Mexico. His experience in the field of rock engineering started at Queen’s University where he worked on a major rock burst research project and then moved on to become a founding partner of ESG Canada, a mining and petroleum seismic company. Before joining forces with MDEng, Mike owned and operated a consulting company, NEMS Inc. established 1993. He specialized in underground mine design and planning, rock mechanics, ground support, instrumentation and productivity improvements. He is fluent in Spanish and has considerable experience serving clients in Mexico and South America.
Major Mining Clients:
- Industrias Peñoles
- Fresnillo Plc
- CAMIRO Mining Division
- North American Palladium.
- Pretium Resources.
- Klondex Mines Ltd.
- Mineros Nacionales – Colombia
- Minera Frisco
- 1974: Haileybury School of Mines – Technologist
- 1981: Michigan Technological University – BSc in Mining Engineering
Professional Business Affiliations:
- 1974 – 1990: Campbell Red Lake Mines, Barrick Gold, Timmins Nickel and Energy Mines and Resources. Shift Boss, Chief Engineer, Mine Superintendent, General Superintendent, Assistant Mine Manager, Managing Director.
- 1990 – 1993: Queen’s University, Mining Department
- 1993 – Present: CEO – Neumann Engineering & Mining Services., Kingston, Ontario
- 1993 – 1999: Founding Partner and Director, Engineering Seismology Group Canada Inc. (ESG)
- 2003 – 2006: COO and Director of Silver Eagle Mines and San Pedro Resources S.A. de C.V.
- Member Professional Engineers, Ontario